There’s a Lot to Do in Ann Arbor
Fall is one of the most beautiful times in Michigan and always reminds us of why this is a great place to live. The Ann Arbor area has so many fun activities planned to keep you entertained until the holidays arrive. So get out and enjoy the crisp air, sunny days, and gorgeous fall colors. Here are some of the local events planned through Halloween.
Washtenaw County Events – August 2011
With summer in full swing, the local activities heat up and offer a little something for everyone in the Ann Arbor area. From Dexter Daze to the Ypsilanti Heritage Festival to the Chelsea and Saline Fairs, the final month of summer will keep Ann Arbor families entertained until the first day of school. Here are some of the local fairs and events throughout the month of August.
Wednesday, August 3
- Fiddlers and Fast Cars. 6-10pm. Downtown Ann Arbor on Main Street between William and Liberty. Free. Features classic cars, muscle cars, and hot rods with musical performances by the award winning Saline Fiddlers.
Friday, August 5
- Michigan Roots Jamboree. 3pm-midnight. Riverside Park near Depot Town, Ypsilanti. $15/day or $50/weekend pass, includes camping at Frog Island. Music on 2 stages, kids tent, local artist displays, local food and national brewed beers. For schedule, visit http://www.rootsjamboree.com/.
- Saline Summerfest. 5-11pm. Downtown Saline. Live music, craft/art show, kid’s activities, beer & wine tent, charity ‘Casino Night’, limbo contest. http://salinesummerfest.org/
- Dance Party in the Park. 7pm. Carr Park in Downtown Manchester. $15 or $25 includes dinner. Dance to live Cajun music led by Al Berard, world renowned Cajun fiddler, Louisiana style dinner, cash bar, and silent auction. http://riverfolkfestival.org/
When: July 20-23rd
Time: Wednesday-Friday 10am-9pm
Where: Downtown Ann Arbor
Next week is the start of one of Ann Arbor’s favorite annual events: The Ann Arbor Art Fairs. This is a fantastic time of year when artists from all over the country come together to showcase their best work and put on the area’s best art show. The Ann Arbor Art Fairs is actually a combination of 4 juried fairs, including the original Ann Arbor Street Fair, the State Street Area Art Fair, the Ann Arbor Summer Art Fair, and Ann Arbor’s South University Art Fair. These fairs have made the Top 10 Fairs list every year since 2004, and have received countless accolades. In its 52nd year, this year’s fairs promise to be at the top for 2011!
Sunday, April 3rd from 4-5pm on Main Street
Come join the fun and excitement at the 5th anniversary of the FestiFools parade in downtown Ann Arbor. FestiFools is a high-energy, whimsical parade of giant papier-mâché puppets that are handcrafted by students and the community alike. Created by Mark Tucker, a professor of art at the University of Michigan’s Lloyd Hall Scholars Program, and former LHSP student Shoshanan Hurand, the main goal of this event is to bring non-art students and community members together to create and showcase art in public places. This annual parade is a huge success and has gained the support of the city of Ann Arbor, the community, and the University of Michigan who recently gave the event a permanent, 2500 square foot studio and 2 art classes devoted specifically to the event.
Want to get involved? Public help is welcomed and encouraged! You can make and enter your own puppet and add to the diversity of this unique parade. This year, local Girl Scouts have created 4 puppets that represent Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water. Volunteers are always welcome to help with making the puppets, from January to April, and on the day of the parade to don a mask and hype up the crowd, animate a puppet, set-up beforehand, or clean-up afterward.
This annual parade is definitely an Ann Arbor favorite for all ages, so mark your calendar and come out for the fun. It all happens right on Main Street, between Washington and William from 4-5pm. We hope to see you there! And as always, should you have any Washtenaw County real estate needs, be sure to give us a call at 734-761-3060 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Original Ann Arbor Street Art Fair!
The 49th annual Ann Arbor Street Art Fair begins July 16-19, 2008 at the Diag on Central Campus at The University of Michigan and at the north end of Ingalls Mall Lawn. The Art Fair that draws over 500,000 visitors to Ann Arbor welcomes 174 juried artists as well as eight new artists from local universities and and colleges. Enjoy Eco-Art Projects, party with locals at the Townie Street Party and lose yourself in a whirlwind of artisan tents and gourmet food stands! Visit The Bouma Group Blog next week to read about the highlights of The Ann Arbor Street Art Fair.
Handy Information For Ann Arbor’s Largest Art Fair
- Getting There – Find the best route to The Ann Arbor Art Fair
- Artisit Directory – Find your favorite artists or discover the latest and greatest on the art scene!
- 2008 Visual Art Workshops– Don’t miss this exciting work shop led by local artists
- 2008 Performances on The Lawn– Experience local musicians and performance artists
- Imagination Station– Featured at The ArtZone on the south end of Ingalls Mall Lawn offering fun activities for the whole family! Be sure to check out Fantasy Faces, a popular stop for face paintings!