The 49th annual Ann Arbor Street Art Fair begins July 16-19, 2008 at the Diag on Central Campus at The University of Michigan and at the north end of Ingalls Mall Lawn. The Art Fair that draws over 500,000 visitors to Ann Arbor welcomes 174 juried artists as well as eight new artists from local universities and and colleges. Enjoy Eco-Art Projects, party with locals at the Townie Street Party and lose yourself in a whirlwind of artisan tents and gourmet food stands! Visit The Bouma Group Blog next week to read about the highlights of The Ann Arbor Street Art Fair.
Handy Information For Ann Arbor’s Largest Art Fair
- Getting There – Find the best route to The Ann Arbor Art Fair
- Artisit Directory – Find your favorite artists or discover the latest and greatest on the art scene!
- 2008 Visual Art Workshops– Don’t miss this exciting work shop led by local artists
- 2008 Performances on The Lawn– Experience local musicians and performance artists
- Imagination Station– Featured at The ArtZone on the south end of Ingalls Mall Lawn offering fun activities for the whole family! Be sure to check out Fantasy Faces, a popular stop for face paintings!
Where It All Started
The Ann Arbor Art Fair began in the summer of 1960. Artisan owner Bruce Henry approached the Ann Arbor Art Association requesting an annual arts and crafts market to coincide with the popular “Summer Bargain Days” held by local merchants. Vibrantly colored Japanese paper fish donated by Henry marked the first Ann Arbor Street Art Fair! In 1970, a collection of young artists from Ann Arbor organized a seperate Free Arts Festival, offering a “free fair” at the Diag, on The University of Michigan’s Central Campus. Through time, the local artisits came into full bloom embracing 4 street fairs in Ann Arbor that have evolved into the Nationally acclaimed Ann Arbor Street Art Fair:
- Ann Arbor Street Art Fair
- Ann Arbor State Street Art Fair
- Ann Arbor Summer Art Fair
- South University Art Fair
Beat the heat – drop by The Bouma Group to get FREE bottled water, as we are only 2 blocks away from The Ann Arbor Art Fair! We are conveniently located at 564 S. Main Street, on the corner of Madison St. and Main St. in downtown Ann Arbor. Have you been to The Ann Arbor Art Fair? What is your favorite part of the fair? We’d love to hear about any memorable experiences that you’ve had at the art fair. Is there an event or performance that you can recommend?