Ann Arbor has quickly become one of Hollywood’s favorite movie locations. This past weekend, the star studded Scream 4 opened across the country. Much of the film was shot right here in Ann Arbor and there were star sightings all over town. In 2008, a 40-42% tax credit was created and began drawing filmmakers to Michigan, specifically Ann Arbor, and continues to bring in revenue and give many local businesses an economic boost. There are currently 43 applications for films to be shot in Michigan, with many choosing Ann Arbor as a backdrop.
Just approved and set in Ann Arbor are 2 feature films, Awol and Five Year Engagement. Awol is the story of a real life soldier during the Vietnam era, the cast has not yet been revealed. Five Year Engagement stars Emily Blunt and Jason Segal and had a few scenes shot in February, with more scheduled for June.
Movies filmed in Ann Arbor and opening soon:
- Meet Monica Velour – Starring Kim Cattrell and Dustin Ingram.
- Ides of March – Directed by and starring George Clooney.
Recent movie premiers:
- Trust – Directed by David Schwimmer & starring Clive Owen and Katherine Keener.
- Cedar Rapids – Starring Ed Helms, John C. Reilly, and Anne Heche.
- Salvation Boulevard – Starring Jennifer Connelly, Marisa Tomei, and Greg Kinnear.
- Answer This! – Directed and produced by Ann Arbor native brothers Christopher & Michael Farrah.
- My Neighbor – An Indie film entered in the Toronto Film Festival.
Recent films with Ann Arbor locations:
- Stone – Robert Di Niro, Edward Norton, and Milla Jovovich.
- Youth in Revolt – Michael Cera, Jean Smart, Portia Doubleday
- Jumper – Hayden Christensen, Rachel Bilson, Jamie Bell
- American Virgin – Rob Schneider, Jenna Dewan, Chase Ryan Jeffery
- Whip It – Directed by Drew Barrymore with Ellen Page, Marcia Gay Harden, Kristen Wiig.
- Conviction – Hillary Swank, Sam Rockwell, Thomas Mahard
- Mooz-lum – Danny Glover, Nia Long, Evan Ross
Here at The Bouma Group, we think Ann Arbor is a great place to call home, as well as shoot a movie, run a business, or raise a family. If you’d like to learn more about the Washtenaw County area or find out what’s going on in the Ann Arbor real estate market, contact us at 734-761-3060 or email@example.com, we’d love to talk about our city with you!